- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- four cups boiling water
- 1-1/two cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-objective flour
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- one big egg
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Spot rhubarb in a colander pour boiling water in excess of rhubarb and let to drain. In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and tapioca. Add drained rhubarb toss to coat. Allow stand 15 minutes. In a tiny bowl, whisk egg and cold water stir into rhubarb mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll a single half of the pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Include filling dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/eight-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Minimize slits in top. Bake 15 minutes.
- Decrease oven setting to 350°. Bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Amazing on a wire rack.
I made this the 1st time for my O.W.L.S. group at church. It was the Best! Numerous many compliments on the pie and one buy for two for a birthday gift for somebody that kept saying how very good it was to his daughter.
Pie was delicious! Only did not fee stars because i altered it a bit so stars wouldn’t be honest for the orig. recipe. Doubled the quantity of rhubarb as the 4 cups created for a really skimpy filling rather than doubling the sugar for the further rhubarb, lowered it somewhat to 2.five cups increased the tapioca to 1.five tbsps. since I dislike a runny pie and employed a crumb topping alternatively of pastry. Turned out amazing and will make again!
I bake a whole lot of pies like all the pies for the family members for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had rhubarb in my garden, in plenty, for the initial time this year and wanted to bake a particular birthday pie for my husband’s birthday dinner. This recipe is awesome! So flavorful it will now turn out to be a new vacation pie for the household this 12 months. I did add a little more rhubarb, but that was all I changed. Exceptional! Brilliant! Thank you for a excellent recipe.
I manufactured this recipe, followed it perfectly, I took it to Missouri for my Mother in law. she explained it tasted just like her Momma’s Rhubarb pie, I even utilized Grandma Tilly’s vinegar pie crust recipe for it, excellent pie, I will use it above and above
Thanks so considerably matteliz
Delicious, basic. I utilised King Arthur’s Pie Enhancer alternatively of the flour, tapioca, & egg, and it worked nicely. In the future I would boost the amount of rhubarb, because it makes for a rather scanty filling. My family appreciated this pie, all the way down to the one-year-previous!
I have never eaten rhubarb pie before, a lot significantly less produced a single, so I thought this would be a very good a single to consider since it is “ideal”. Wow! I loved it! I will be generating this one particular over again! It was so delicious! I have to admit I am partial to fruit pie recipes that use tapioca pudding. This one particular was specifically as it was named: ideal!!
I have many rhubarb pie recipes and I identified this a single to be a single of my favorites. A lot of occasions mine have been running and this a single was not. It was sweet, but not too sweet. just a wonderful recipe.. will use this one particular yet again .
This truly is the excellent stability of sweet and tart for our taste, and was also the best stability of fruit and sauce. There was a bit of sauce but was not runny. I am throwing out my previous recipe and strategy to use this a single from now on!
I find the filling is also considerably to match into any of my 9″ pie plates but was the best quantity for my 10″ Pyrex pie plates.
The taste was wonderful, for rhubarb soup. Hugh puddle of juice-the bottom two/3 of the pie was submerged!. 1 teaspoon of tapioca, three tablespoons of flour, and 1 egg? No way this comes out as dry looking as the picture!